New York City Immigration Attorney Helps Families Immigrate

Offering reliable immigration services for your family members

If you are a U.S. citizen who wants to help a family member move to the United States, you must file the proper paperwork with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Your immigration status determines which relatives (or future relatives) may be eligible for immigration approval.

To help a family member immigrate, you must meet one of the following requirements:

  • Be a U.S. citizen
  • Hold a green card
  • Be a refugee or an asylum petitioner, admitted within the past two years

How to get a visa for your fiancé or fiancée

The K-1 fiancé(e) visa is for a foreign citizen who is the fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen. The K-1 visa permits the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) to travel to the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival.

To petition for a fiancé(e) visa, you must meet certain requirements, including:

  • Be a U.S. citizen
  • Intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States
  • Be legally able to marry your fiancé(e) (any previous marriage has been legally terminated by divorce, death or annulment)
  • Prove you met each other, in person, at least once within two years of filing your petition, unless you show a violation of cultural customs or an extreme hardship
  • File Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)

Once you receive the K-1 visa, your fiancé(e) may enter the country and remain for 90 days. Once you marry, your spouse may stay legally and apply for permanent residence. Our lawyer offers the experience and resources you need to find the quickest way to get your fiancé(e) into the United States. We guide you through every step of the process.

What is a marriage visa?

A K-3 visa requires you get married in the home country of your fiancé(e) and live together continuously before moving to the United States. You need extensive documentation to prove the marriage, which can sometimes hold up the approval process. Our immigration attorney reviews your individual situation to choose the best course of action for getting your wife, husband or future spouse into the country.

Contact us for a consultation — we help you with family immigration matters

Bhurtel Law Firm provides flexible hours at its offices in Jackson Heights and Manhattan. We serve Queens, Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx and Nassau County, as well as international clients. We speak Nepali, Hindi, Urdu and Spanish. To schedule an appointment with a member of our legal team, contact us by email or call us at 718-509-6181.